...Exceptionally Intelligent People?
I’ve always said that being a university student has been a very humbling experience for me. It’s because I’m not in the small pond anymore, but rather in a huge ocean. I’m no longer faced with catfish and tilapias but sharks and whales. No matter how much of a big shot you were back at home, it accounts for nothing in this playing field.
Also, I’ve come to realize that the world is really pretty fair. The saying “Nobody’s Perfect” is really true, with a handful of exceptions. But generally, no one has everything, and if you are extremely blessed with something, there will be some areas in your life that’s lacking.
I’ve noticed that there’s somewhat of a catch to being really smart. It’s either the person’s really lacking in the (most obvious) appearance department, or has some really disturbing idiosyncrasies. Sometimes both. But I’d rather not take the superficial approach to this issue by harping on how the nerdy look isn’t cool. I really think it is. But there are just a few things that I have found disturbing in this bunch of extremely “gifted” people.
1. Exams are like the 4th of July:
While the normal response would be to groan, their faces light up when the professor mentions the word “exam”. I’ve seen cases where one of them rubs his hands and grins with delight. *Shudder*
2. Destructive Tendencies:
I’ve noticed that a couple of them have penchant for breaking things…namely pencils. Maybe it’s their form of release or something. I’ve even head of cases where they bend forks just for kicks. Oh, and they don’t bend them back.
3. Disregard for Layman Terms:
When asked a simple question, they tend to be circuitous or really flamboyant with explaining methods or using terminology. When asked to explain him/herself, the result would often be the person asking the question just as if not more befuddled than before. Usually leads to the assumption of aloofness.
4. Limited Dress Sense:
You’ll see most of them wearing the same clothes day in and day out. Most of them have no more than three shirts to wear out. Definitely not because of financial constraints. Sometimes they do realize how square they are and try to make adjustments. When they do, you can tell they’re trying too hard.
5. Socially Inept:
Most of them are loners. In most cases, it’s because of others being intimidated. Sometimes, they’re just not fun to hang out with. There also are those who hang out in their “fellow geniuses” social circle. Obviously because it’s where they find the most acceptance.
6. Zero on Street Smarts:
I’ve known a couple of sterling students who have the brains but its use is only confined between the covers of books. Throw them in the middle of the city and they’ll probably not come out alive. There are some who don’t even know how to operate a can opener.
7. Taking Extreme Interest in Trivial Things:
I’ve caught one of these curve-setters admiring his fingers as if they’ve just sprouted from the stump of which we call an arm. He went on to admire at them, looking them from different angles for a good two minutes. Heaven knows what’s going through their mind when strange things like that happen.
8. Eerie Expressions during Academic Lectures:
While in lecture one day, I turned a saw this really peculiar expression on one genius’ face while the professor was giving his lecture. While the other students were frantically scribbling down notes, there he was just looking around the classroom with this evil grin from ear to ear on his face. It was as if he was saying “Man, I already know this. Incompetent mere mortals!”
Note: I do not have anything against these people. I just treat them like another interesting university demographic. I absolutely respect and admire them for their God-given gifts. The purpose of this article is just to share some observations that hopefully most of you can relate to. No offence intended.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home